Hey stumbled on your forum while browsing for modding help on Nexus. Really excited about it since I would really love to learn how to mod for FO4 (have some cool and grand ideas but no skill). I've done very basic texture modding for Pro Evo Soccer and Mount and Blade but nothing major, have very basic concept of 3d max (VERY basic). Would love to volunteer to be a guinea pig for learning how to mod from scratch. Hope you'll have me and help me.

ukie
Absolutely. We'll lend a hand where we can, just really trying to get some people out there who would like to learn the process. It's great to see you have some experience.

If there's a specific tutorial you're looking for, either ask about it and we'll point you in the right direction. Or we'll write an article on it.
That's great. I've been mostly working with flat surfaces or stationary skins (no wrinkles or folds) so one of the issues I'm having is getting good looking skins for FO4 models (vanilla for now)

P.S. my idea was to make a mod or two once I can learn some skills and put a link to your forum.
ukrainik wrote:
That's great. I've been mostly working with flat surfaces or stationary skins (no wrinkles or folds) so one of the issues I'm having is getting good looking skins for FO4 models (vanilla for now)

P.S. my idea was to make a mod or two once I can learn some skills and put a link to your forum.

If you're looking at making clothing that isn't hard surface like t-shirts and what not. I'd take a look at Blender's shrink wrap feature. Apparently it makes clothing making easy to do.
lol get ready I'm about to bombard you with questions (noob questions). So as far as I understand you may make a high poly model for the shadow maps in UV textures that you can then use that shadow map for texturing with GIMP for the actual skin for the same shape but low poly model that you will use in the game. If that is correct do you know of any good tutorials I should check out?
ukrainik wrote:
lol get ready I'm about to bombard you with questions (noob questions). So as far as I understand you may make a high poly model for the shadow maps in UV textures that you can then use that shadow map for texturing with GIMP for the actual skin for the same shape but low poly model that you will use in the game. If that is correct do you know of any good tutorials I should check out?

All those terms were pretty confusing.

Fallout 4 uses a strange PBR based texturing. It comes in a handful of formats for textures.

Anything with _d.dds is usually the actual texture. Ex: MyTexture_d.dds
Anything with _n.dds is a normal map. Ex. MyTexture_n.dds
Anything with _s.dds is a mix of gloss, shine, etc. It uses a Red / Green filter.

Poke through here for information about the gloss shine stuff:
http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6316&start=15

Here's some texturing tools:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27

I recommend getting Photoshop if you plan on doing anything with Texturing. Borrow it or whatever.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3

Has all the export information for Intel Texture Works plugin there.
Any UV mapping tutorial will work. The most uncomplicated way of doing any kind of exporting is 3DS Max 2013 in my opinion. If you want a more complicated work flow you can go from Blender to Bodyslide to Nifskope. Otherwise it's 3Ds Max to Elric to Nifskope.

3DS download here:
http://trial.autodesk.com/SWDLDDLM/2013/3DSMAX/ESD/Autodesk_3ds_Max_2013_EFGKJS_Win_64bit.exe

Anyway. You definitely should download the Creation Kit as it has the plugins for 3DS max.

There's a lot of tutorials that are currently unwritten and I need to get around to doing, including installation of the bethesda nif tools and such.
Hello there! I am Daisy from Alabama and newbie member in this forum community .